Dysmenorrhea is the medical term for pain during periods (menstruation) also known as menstrual cramps. Menstrual bleeding is made of blood and tissue that sheds from the uterus in the absence of Zygote ( fertilised egg ) for implantation in the Uterus.
Dysmenorrhea is classified as primary and secondary.
The common menstrual cramps that happens every period cycle which is not caused by any diseases is referred to as Primary Dysmenorrhea. The chemical prostaglandin which is released in the uterus which contracts and squezes the uterus to expel the tissue lining ( created for implantation and pregnancy ) in the event pregnancy did not happen.
Other medical conditions such as endometriosis or uterine Fibroids triggers menstrual bleeding with cramps and severe pain which is known as Secondary dysmenorrhea.
Some girls may have other symptoms during their period such as nausea, vomiting, loose bowel movements/ diarrhea, constipation, bloating in the belly area, headaches, and/or light headedness, all of which can be mild to severe & breast tenderness.
Lifestyle and home Remedies
- Regular exercise and Physical activity, including sex, helps ease menstrual cramps for some women.
- Hot water bath / hot water bottle on your lower abdomen might ease menstrual cramps.
- Reduce stress.
- Drink more water. Hydration is key to fighting cramps.
- Get more calcium into your diet.
- Herbal Supplements such as Lodhra, Aswagandha, Gokshura, Asoka & many more…