Since Vitamin D is produced by exposure to SUNLIGHT it is known as the “sunshine vitamin”. certain foods and supplements to ensure adequate levels of Vitamin D in your blood.
Several important functions are carried out by Vit D. which includes regulating the absorption of Calcium and Phosphorus which facilitates development of bones and teeth. Vit D controls the body IMMUNE system providing resistance against diseases. Vit D is very essential to the body as an IMMUNE BOOSTER
In these COVID-19 Pandemic days Vitamin D wud be very much life protective.
- Deficiency of Vitamin D leads to developing bone abnormalities such as soft bones (Osteomalacia) or fragile bones (Osteoporosis).
- Other benefits of Vit D
- Vitamin D wards off Depression
- Vitamin D helps lose weight and prevents heart disease.
- vitamin D has an appetite-suppressing effect.
The following factors affects vitamin D through Sunlight.
- Using sunscreen
- Spending more time indoors
- cities where buildings block sunlight
- Having darker skin.
Getting Vitamin D from sources besides sunlight is essential.
Vitamin D deficiency leads to:
- Tiredness, pains in bones and muscles , and a general sense of not feeling well.
Food sources of vitamin D – Immune Booster
Few foods contain vitamin D naturally. Because of this, some foods are fortified. This means that vitamin D has been added. Foods that contain vitamin D include:
- egg yolk
- milk (fortified)
- cereal (fortified)
- yogurt (fortified)
- orange juice (fortified)
Vitamin D supplements are necessary to be taken regularly.
How much do you need?
Levels of 50 to 100 micrograms per decilitre blood.You may need more vitamin D depending on your blood level.
The recommended IUs for vitamin D are:
- children and teens: 600 IU
- adults up to age 70: 600 IU
- adults over age 70: 800 IU
- pregnant or breastfeeding women: 600 IU